Google Analytics is one of the free SEO tools that you can use to track the performance of your website. It can give you vital insight regarding the behavior of the visitors. You can get data on how they ended up on your website. Given that you don’t have to pay a dime to use it, there is no excuse why you should not have it regardless of the nature of your website. Are you running a WordPress-based website? Read on to learn how you can install Google Analytics in it.
Why you should have Google Analytics
As a website owner or manager, you need to have real data on how your website is performing. This information may include the number of visitors that are visiting your site over a specific period, their geographical location, how they managed to reach your website among others. Google Analytics provides an easy and accurate way of monitoring and analyzing all these data.
This tool also monitors the behavior of the visitors on your website. It keeps track of the duration which they stay on the site, the pages that they visit and any other action that they take. By having this information, you will take various steps to improve some key aspects of the website and also execute a data-driven marketing campaign.
Create a Google Analytics account
Before you proceed to integrate the tool into your website, you first need to create a Google Analytics account. Since it is a product from Google, you will use your Gmail account. Creating a Google Analytics account involves the following steps:
- Go to Google Analytics homepage; use your Gmail credentials.
- Sign up –You will be asked to select what you want to track. Choose the website option.
- Fill any other information as required.
- Enter the name of your website, its URL and the industry that it falls under.
- Select your time zone.
- Agree to the terms of service and get you unique Tracking ID.
Integrating Google Analytics with your WordPress site: Method 1
There are different methods of adding Google analytics to your WordPress site. Some techniques are quite complex and require you to have some knowledge of web development. Other methods are simple and can help you to install it on the go. In this article, we are going to cover two methods that you can easily implement.
Using MosnterInsights plugin
MonsterInsights is a very popular plugin that is used to integrate Google Analytics into WordPress website. Here are the steps that you should follow when using this plugin:
- Download the plugin then activate it on your site
- After the activation, MosnterInsights will add a new option labeled ‘Insights’. Click this label and go the “Settings” option to configure the plugin.
- A tab will pop up asking you to authenticate your Google Analytics account. Click on this tab then proceed to enter your Google Code.
- Give the plugin permission to access your Google Analytics account and even manage the data in the account.
- A code showing that the integration is successful will pop up. Copy this code and paste it in the tab that appeared in the second step.
- Finally, choose a profile that you would like to track.
To view a report regarding the behavior of the users on your website, go to the Insights’ option then select the “Reports” tab.
Integrating Google Analytics into your WordPress theme: Method 2
Another method that you can use involves installing the analytics directly to using your WordPress theme. Here you will only be required to copy the Google Analytics Tracking ID that you obtained when creating an account then paste it into a specific location of your website. On your WordPress site, locate the “settings” option then proceed to a step that will ask you to add a “Footer Script” Paste your Google Tracking ID here then save the changes.
Here are other alternatives that you can use though they may require that you have some technical knowledge about web design and development.
-Add the tracking id to the header.php file
-You can install Insert headers and Footers plugin
-Use the Google Analytics + plugin
Google analytics is a vital tool that you can use to monitor the results of your marketing campaign such as PPC and SEM. You can also use it for the SEO purpose as it can suggest for you some of the keywords that are relevant to your industry. Take your WordPress website to the next level by installing Google Analytics.